Thursday, July 14, 2011

Adventures in Potty Training

Hayden potty trained (relatively) easily at just shy of 2 1/2 years old.  So I had it in my head that I would accomplish it in the same timeframe with Pierce, even though clearly his personality is quite different!  Nevertheless, as promised, the day returned from our Colorado trip, we decided to just dive into it.  We bought the singing potty, we stocked up on marshmallows and M&Ms for rewards, and we bought the Iron Man underpants (his choice).  And then proceeded to spend 3 days cleaning pee and poop off of every surface imaginable in our house!  It was such fun.  I nearly threw in the towel, but I kept reminding myself that he would only get more stubborn and defiant as he got older (is that really possible though?), so we just stuck with it.  Now, 2 1/2 weeks later, he is doing quite well - phew!  We are by no means accident free, but he really understands the idea of using a potty, he refuses to wear a diaper, and every time he starts to wet himself, he says OOPS and runs to the potty.  So we are well on our way, and will hopefully have a totally potty trained boy by the end of the summer! 

I just have to share this video of him on his little potty that Nate took the other night while I was away.  It just shows so many of his funny little personality traits, and his happy, inquisitive, independent nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment