Wednesday, September 14, 2011

First Day of School

How how did we get to this point?  Not only is Hayden in pre-K, but Piercey J has officially started his first year of pre-school.  It's amazing to me that I have two little boys in backpacks!


As you may recall from my posts at this time last year, Hayden had a difficult time adjusting to school.  And just when he started enjoying the drop-off, Ruthie was born, and he reverted back to tears.  So naturally I was expecting the first day to be hard on him, especially since his beloved teachers were no more.  Thank God, his two best friends, Tatum and Kailey, are both in his class again, and after meeting his teachers at an open house, he declared that he liked them.  Pierce has one of Hayden's teachers from last year, Miss Melissa, and she immediately was drawn to him since she was close to Hayden, and I think that is helping him feel comfortable.  He gets spoiled just a bit!

So the drop-off on the first day of school was rough, as expected, for Hayden.  But I was extremely proud of him for putting on a happy face, and acting enthusiastic, even though he was nervous.  He was trying so hard to fight back the tears, and even mentioned to his teacher that he was trying to keep his eyes dry, but the tears just kept falling.  Eh break my heart a little :(  But he is always smiling and happy when I pick him up, and telling me he had a great day, so I know I'm doing the right thing.

Pierce was thrilled to run into his classroom with all it's fun news toys, and he never looked back on that first day!  He even fell asleep on his nap mat without his blanky or plapi (pacifier), which was a major surprise.  He must have felt very comfortable.  Unfortunately, each day has gotten harder since that first drop-off, but I think that is because literally EVERY child in that 2 year old class cries their heads off when mommy drops them off.  I think Pierce would be ok if he didn't look around and see a bunch of crying kiddos!  But the teacher assures me that this is normal in the 2 year old class and once they get past the 3rd week, things will calm down. 

So overall, it's been a good transition back to school, and I'm looking forward to all the fun things the school year will bring for both boys.  Hayden is required to take on a lot of his own responsibilities this year, like carrying his back-pack in, and remembering his homework tasks, in preparation for kindergarten, so we'll see how he gets along.  And I can't wait to see little Pierce in the Christmas and Easter programs with his brother!  Adorable.  It's sweet to see them in it together.


And I can't forget to mention that Hayden is now attending one extra day of pre-K at a wonderful little school geared around animals and farming.  The director's labrador is one of his classmates (Bella), which absolutely THRILLS him, and after the classroom portion of the day is over, he gets to go outside to feed the fish in the pond, and the animals in the barn (a donkey, some pigs, and chickens right now).  Now there were NO tears on his first day there!  It's a lovely little school, and I'm considering sending Pierce there as well....stay tuned for that!








No comments:

Post a Comment