Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Biggest Brother

When I first found out I was having a 3rd baby, Hayden was thrilled.  It was so different during that pregnancy, since he was aware of what having a baby meant, and he was so involved in the whole process.  I remember showing him the first ultrasound photo, which he promptly asked to put on his wall next to his bed.  It still hangs there.  From the start, he was insistent that he was having a baby sister, and while I quietly hoped he was right, I was still shocked when I found out that really was true!  His bond with his sister started while she was still in the womb, and I often wondered if the reality of having another child in the house would live up to his expectations.

I should never have doubted it.  At 7 1/2 months old, Ruthie is the absolutely apple of Hayden's eye.  That sounds like something my grandpa would have said, but it is the best way to describe it.  He adores her, and when she is awake, he pays nearly undivided attention to her.  When she cries, he gets down on the floor with her and coos ("It's ok Roofie!"), he'll stack her blocks for her and describe the animals that are on all the sides, he'll sit behind her with his legs around, and help her play with her toys, and (despite me not liking it so much), he'll scoop her up in his arms and lay on his back with her on his tummy, then he rolls side to side, making her laugh in delight.  He often situates himself next to her while he watches TV, and I'll watch his arm just go around her shoulders or waist, completely out of habit.  He just wants her close.

Hayden has always been affectionate, and he has a very sweet side with his brother, but there is something especially tender about his interactions with his sister, and it reminds me how lucky they are to all have each other.  And how lucky I am to have each of them!!





1 comment:

  1. He's such a great big brother :-). It is so special to watch our boys with their little sisters. Greyson is so protective and loving with Hannah when he wants to, but he was so unaware in the beginning since he was young. I can't wait to see how he is with Baby Vivian :-).

    ReplyDelete