Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Birthday Boy

One of the most special things about Hayden's birthday each year, is that I remember that he is the only person in the whole world who made me a mother for the first time.  He gave my first insatiable ice cream cravings when newly pregnant, his were the first tiny baby feet and fists that I felt in my belly, his flickering heartbeat, and beautiful profile were the first that I saw on the ultrasound monitor, and that appointment was the first time I heard the words, "it's a boy".  He was the first child that was born into the world as my own, and first little baby that I held and nursed myself.  The first child whose eyes my husband stared into with awe, as he became a father.  He was the first smile, the first giggle, the first step, and the first word.  I didn't know what kind of love a parent felt for a child until he came.  Unconditional, forgiving, all encompassing, at times overwhelming, "love you to the moon and back" kind of love.  So every year when he turns a year older, I become ever more thankful that he made me a mother, and especially that he became my little boy.

Happy Birthday to the most beautiful little 4 year old in the world.  I love you my sweet sweet boy.  You are perfect, and precious, and the absolute light of my life.








1 comment:

  1. Aww, this is beautiful! I have that same quote in Jack's baby book, and I totally can relate to those feelings you wrote. I can't believe our sweet boys are now 4. What a great 4 years it has been! Happy, happy birthday to Hayden! Can't wait to celebrate with all our little men this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete