Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Soaring Temperatures


Seriously, why did we move to Texas again?  August heat is UNBEARABLE here.  Or perhaps it's just my pregnant, irritable self that cannot handle it.  But simply the idea of walking outside is appalling to me lately, even if a pool is involved.  Obviously I have two little men who can't be prisoners to their homes, so I have been venturing out as much as I can, but it's super draining for all of us.  I am very happy that we will be gone a large portion of the next month, traveling to various cooler climates, and by the time our travel ends in mid-September it should be in the 90's, rather than over 100 every day!

The upside of living in a very warm climate, with pools and splashparks in abundance, is that my boys have really become little fish.  Hayden is an excellent swimmer and does not require a vest all.  He just takes a deep breath, dunks his litttle head under water, and swims across the whole pool!  He can probably tread water for longer than I can, and he has been learning how to dive down to the bottom (of my parent's shallow end) to grab toys.  Goggles are his new best friend, and he looks so dang cute in them!  Needless to say, this was HIS summer, and he embraced the swimming thing with all of his heart and might, and he's come out as a super little swimmer.  I couldn't be prouder.

Needless to say, Piercey at 16 months, is not quite as advanced, but he has taken to the water with enthusiasm.  His favorite thing are pools that are beach entry style, and he scares the crap out of me by running in and out as fast as he can, with his little chubby cheeks shaking and jiggling, and me fearing he will wipe out at every turn.  But he LOVES it and laughs and has the best time.  Unfortunately, he flat out refuses to wear a vest or water wings, or any type of floaty vest (and by refuse I mean he screams his fool head off uncontrollably), so he's sort of stuck either in the shallow end, or in my arms, rather than freely exploring the pool.  My sincere hope is that next summer he'll embrace the idea of a flotation device and discover his independence in the pool.  Until then, I'm satisfied with looking at his cute little self in his little swim trunks haha.

   

Well now that Hayden is three, he has to do EVERYTHING by himself.  This sounds awesome, right?  Except that he can't really do everything by himself, and he refuses help.  Even if his arms are twisted three times through his shirt and it's practically choking him, he would rather cry it out alone in his room than let one of us help him.  We are trying to teach him that it is wonderful to be independent, and we are so proud of him, but that sometimes it's ok to ask for help, and that teamwork is essential.  But it's not getting through.  But on a positive note, three year olds aren't afraid of ANYTHING that two year olds are afraid of (like baseball games, pre-school, fireworks, pig races, etc).  We are testing this assertion next Saturday night, as we head to a Rangers game while my brother is visiting from London.  Hayden insists he is going to get a hot dog and cotton candy, and sit next to grammy and Uncle Jeffrey, and he's going to LOVE it.  I sure hope he's right and we don't end up leaving in tears in the first inning, but I'm definitely going in with a positive attitude, and I like that he's doing the same, and facing his fears.

Today I embarked on a sewing extravaganza to make some homemade things for my nephews, and I decided to surprise Hayden with a new pillowcase with some airplane fabric I found on sale.  I am no homemaker, and sewing is not my forte by ANY stretch of the imagination, but I am learning and enjoying it.  So the result was this super cute pillow that of course Hayden treasures.  He is the most appreciative child ever, and I'm so lucky that he doesn't just take one look at toss it aside.  So I was content, and apparently he was too!


So our trip to Durango with Nate's family is quickly approaching on Thursday and no one could be happier than Hayden.  He gets to see his Mammaw, and cousin Brylin and Aunt Britt (who came to take care of him when we were in Italy), and his cousin "Camera", as well as all his other cousins and aunts and uncles and Grandpa.  He also gets to fly on an airplane (although he is upset that it is Frontier and not Southwest, but we can't win them all).  So already last week he had grabbed his new back pack (thank you Chalna!), crammed it full of his favorite toys and crayons, and was wearing it around the house, ready to head off the airport.  Every day is a let down for the poor child as we explain that no, we are not going to the airport this morning, but in X amount of days.  Thank goodness it's only 2 days away!  And not to be undone, Piercey J inherited his brother's old back pack and got to fill his with toys as well.  He's ready!

   

I'll post again once we get back from our trip to lovely Colorado!





No comments:

Post a Comment