Friday, April 29, 2011

Miss Ruthie - 10 weeks



My little girl is 10 weeks old!  How did the time fly by so quickly?  Before I know it she will be crawling and walking.  Literally....this lady is advanced!  Ok ok so I am clearly biased, but she is so mature and I'm worried that she will grow up too quickly, which is not what I want for my 3rd and most likely last child!  But it's also pretty amazing to see her growing and changing and enjoying her world.

She is 10 1/2 weeks old, and is just about the most pleasant child you could ever imagine.  Neither of our boys was a terribly challenging newborn (although Pierce had some colicky issues), but Ruthie is just a super content baby, and an excellent sleeper.  Her normal bedtime is between 8 and 9, and she normally sleeps until at least 5 am, and more often than not until 7 am or so.  I mean this exceeds any expectations for a 2 month old.  However, Hayden also slept like this as a newborn, and unfortunately it didn't last - teething and unswaddling got in the way at about 5 months.  So I'm not too hopeful that my nights of uninterrupted sleep will last forever, but I'm certainly enjoying it while it lasts.

I've mentioned the word content, and that definitely describes her perfectly.  Since she is the 3rd child, she probably doesn't get nearly the amount of mommy time she deserves, however she is happy to hang out in her swing, on her playmat, or in her bouncy chair.  I'll often find her smiling and "talking" to her mobile, and she falls asleep EVERY time I put her in her chair in my bathroom while I shower.  And she falls asleep without even fussing!  It's like some sort of infant miracle.  She is so low maintenance, which I think makes me want to snuggle and cuddle her even more - because she demands so little of me!

At this point she is nursing almost exclusively, which I love, but she also takes a bottle of (very hot) breastmilk a few times a week from grammy or daddy.  But at least we have those 4 or 5 times a day where we get to relax together, and she'll usually grab my hand or my shirt, and look into my eyes with love.  And yes, I am TOTALLY cherishing these kind of moments with her, because I suspect they are my last with a newborn.  And a perfect, lovely, sweet newborn at that.

Her brothers continue to be completely in love with her.  The other day I heard her wake up in her crib, and I asked Hayden to go in and tell her I would be right there (she responds to his voice already).  Belatedly I thought to myself that he would probably get IN the crib to relay the message, and sure enough, two seconds later I was watching him on the video monitor as he gently climbed into the crib, turned on her star mobile, and rubbed her head like I do to calm her down.  Despite the fact that he could have landed on her head (!), it was a super sweet moment.  He loves her deeply, and is always the first to worry about her when she is crying, and holds her every chance he gets.  Pierce likes to arrange his chair next to her swing and push it (often higher than I would like!), and he climbs onto her playmat with her (despite my constant worry).  He loves her, but Pierce is not known for his gentleness!  So we are working on that haha.

One last mention - I LOVE dressing this girl!  I'm having so much fun with a girly wardrobe, and bows, and skirts.  She is getting to smily and alert, and she actually looks cute in all the clothes I make for her, and all the adorable outfits my friends and family have gifted her with.  Having a girly is JUST as much fun as I thought it would be :)



Enjoy your weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. A few thoughts: There are a couple statements that make it sounds like Ruthie may NOT be your last child . . .

    I teared up when I saw her in Brooke's cherry onesie. It seems like just a couple months ago that my baby girl was wearing that! But it does look cute on Ruthie too ;-)

    HOW SWEET about Hayden climbing in with her! That just sounds adorable. What a good big brother.

    And lastly, I may have mentioned it before, but you have a beautiful daughter! I just love her!

    ReplyDelete