Monday, February 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Dallas!

Hiking the Elm Fork Trail - Feb 10, 2008

Dallas turns 5 years old today! I thought it would be a good time to tell our story :) Dallas was born on a farm in Iowa, on a winter morning in 2003. He then traveled in a crate in the back of a pick-up truck to Denver, where I found him after reading an ad in the paper. The breeder described him as mellow (aka lazy), cuddly, and soft, and I thought that sounded pretty perfect! I drove down from Fort Collins with my friend Stacey, and we met him. Oh my god, first of all he was SO CUTE, and he just crawled right into my lap and snuggled in. All of his brothers and sisters where getting into trouble and tumbling around, and Dallas just chilled in my lap and kissed me. He was a keeper.

From that day on we were an inseparable pair. He was with me when I met Nate, and we welcomed him and Lilly into our family. Then Evi came along the next summer to expand our family even more. We had tons of adventures in Colorado. His first camping trip was to the Maroon Bells (my first camping trip too!), and he also fell through the ice once on a frozen section of the Poudre River. He was co-pilot during two roadtrips to visit my parents in Ohio, and he overcame his fear of rock climbing at Vedauwoo in Wyoming.

We've had him with us through moves to California and Texas, he came to our wedding, he made it through a life threatening immune disorder a year ago, he welcomed his brother Hayden into the world with love and kisses, and he has brightened countless days for me. He is truly such an important member of our family and I wish him a happy 5th birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment